Sunday 3 October 2021

Small Sampler Quilt

This is a quilt that I started in April 2009.  Yep, that long ago.  I was gifted the original pattern Golden Memories Sampler by Lori Smith a few months earlier for Christmas and I chose a fat quarter pack of fabric a short time later.  I started making the blocks, but wasn't "in love" with them, so I put the whole project away.  And.... it stayed away for a very, very long time.


Fast forward to October 2020; I decided to pull this particular project out of hiding and take a look at where I was at and assess what to do with the blocks I'd already made.  In the end, I decided simplicity was my friend.  I ditched the original pattern and joined the blocks together with sashing and cornerstones.

A very conventional setting, but very effective.  A trip to the local quilt shop for the lovely denim blue linen narrow border and binding, plus the purple border fabric so that I could get the quilt top completed.


Two weeks ago, I quilted this quilt with a lovely soft, variegated purple thread on my domestic sewing machine.  I quilted cables in the border and did 'stitch in the ditch', combined with tumbling leaves for the blocks and sashing. 

For quilt that I wasn't sure I liked, I have ended up being blown away by what I achieved with this one.  I'm so very happy.


On the 1st of October, I gifted this quilt to one of the most beautiful 'old' ladies you could ever meet.  At 87, she is so active and on the ball that she is inspiring.  She was a member of my local quilt group, but gave up all crafting and disposed of her craft items approximately 12 months ago. 

What I wrote on the label is why I specifically finished this quilt for her:  
A couple of years ago you asked me if I could make you a quilt and I said yes – so here it is with purple and a few other colours thrown in for a good measure.  This is to keep you warm in winter and for comfort if you ever need a hug. 


Finishing at 40in x 48in, she is absolutely chuffed and says she will use it every night when watching TV.  
 

6 comments:

Jindi's Cottage said...

It is lovely...no wonder the recipient is going to use it regularly...x

gudrun said...

That is a lovely gift.

ButterZ said...

Such a lovely finish Andrea and for a special reason. Anyone I know?

Gayle Bong said...

Love the colors.

Melinda said...

It really is lovely! Good for you getting it finished.

swooze said...

It’s a beauty!