In 2012, I took part in a class, 'blocks on parade', where the aim is to use up your odd blocks and pieces of fabric. I found it hard to focus with this particular project at the time due to some other issues going on in the background, which is a shame because the Teacher on the day was nothing short of amazing with how she could put the oddest pieces together and come up with a cohesive quilt.
With everything being made from black and white, I put the three projects together into a zip-lock bag and then added a good dose of of zero inspiration, simply because I could not figure out what to do with them.
From humble beginnings way back in 2008 and some extras being thrown in from time to time, the "pot" or rather zip-lock bag was shaken up and stirred around the sewing room a few times. Eventually a quilt top had to come out.
Here is the result of a recent burst of creativity from the percolating zip-lock bag. The blocks, after breaking the seal on the bag, spilled themselves out over the lounge-room floor and jumped around for a while. When they settled down, they then demanded I sew them together, to make "Cobbled Nines".
|Not quilted, but pieced "Cobbled Nines" quilt top.|
The males who reside in this house love it. The quilting buddies also like it. And, I found a fantastic fabric for the backing in a red spot sale bin, which is washed and joined ready to go.
The binding is already made, using left over batik fabric from when I made my knitting bag.
I've chosen a silver metallic thread for the quilting, which I think will work really well. Using plain grey thread in any shade was just a bit too dull when I laid it/them on the quilt top.
It feels good to put 3 projects together with some extra bits and make one funky quilt out of it all.