Monday 11 January 2021

Easy Street

This was a big quilt and a lot of fabric!  Easy Street has been a wonderful journey of stretching myself with the use of colours.  I wouldn't normally make a quilt in this combination, but for some reason when Bonnie Hunter first shared her mystery quilt from 2012, I knew way back then that I needed to make it.

As luck would have it, I had all of the necessary fabrics in my stash, except for the green, which was purpose bought for this quilt.  







Block Set 1

The black on white prints, I had most of them left over from other quilts, and my friend Jo provided me with some extras from her stash to make sure I had enough.  

Block Set 2

There are many parts to the Easy Street Quilt and there is an absolute mountain load of cutting to be done, but each part was well stepped out and so it was easy to cut and then chain sew parts together.  One step at a time makes it super easy and not at all daunting.


Corner Setting Triangles

Even the side and corner setting triangles had lots of piecing in them.

Side Setting Triangles

I didn't start straight away on this quilt when the clues were first posted.  I collected all of the clues as they were issued because I liked the colours she was using and then when the final reveal was shown on the Quiltville blog, I fell in love with it.  I really liked the symmetry and movement in the quilt.

So much piecing in the blocks!

For the quilting, I simply quilted in the ditch along each seam line.  The patchwork was so busy that I chose keep the quilting minimal.  I quilted a cable pattern on the final border.

Backing onto front peak.

I chose a black/dark grey tone-on-tone stripe for the border and the same green as in the quilt for the binding.

The whole quilt with all of the wonderful movement showing.



 A wonderful quilt to make and one I would consider making again because I thoroughly enjoyed it!


This quilt was completed in December 2020 gifted to my nephew for Christmas 2020.

No comments: