Monday 2 March 2020

Paper Doilies, Log Cabins and a very quilty week...

Last week was so very, very quilty!  Lots of sewing time to be had. 😊

It was a wonderful week. Tuesday was 3 hours with a group, followed closely by Thursday which was slow stitching at a local shop for 2.5 hours.  I took an English Paper Piecing  (EPP) project.

My "doily" so far.  There's still another round to attach,
but I haven't chosen the colour yet.
The diamond spaces are left blank for the
background to show through.























This is my "Paper Doily" project which I started in 2019 at a class with Leesa Chandler.  I attended the class so that I could learn something new.  I had never realised all the other possibilities before of using paper pieces to make up patterns like this.  I had always attached them to each other and thought that was it.  Once the final round is attached, the whole piece will be appliqued onto a background.  Such a fun thing to do with some stash fabric and paper pieces.

Friday was the day for my local quilt group.  I had plans to take my machine and continue working on Specky Stars, however, other things called me away and I didn't get there.

On Saturday, 29/02 - Leap Year Day - I attended a 10am-10pm sewing day with a group 1 hour away.  I took a scrappy red/white log cabin of my own design to work on.  I spent quite a bit of time both before and after Christmas cutting into my red and white leftovers from previous projects (scrap) stash.  Being 100% cut out and having lots of chain piecing, which is very repetitive, was a fantastic thing to do while catching up with friends.


I stood up and looked over the back of my machine
for this shot.  Lots of chain piecing.
Plastic tub with each piece cut and in piecing
order from the centre out.
























With a bit of luck, this log cabin quilt will hopefully be published into a pattern.  It's been quite a while since I last ran a class and wrote a proper pattern.

On top of pattern writing and making the relevant quilts, I have a self-imposed goal of completing 9 quilts by the end of July and 4 of those quilts I plan to exhibit.  A couple will become gifts, 1 is for a class and the other 2 I am not sure where they are headed to yet.

I'm feeling as 'pleased as punch' right now.  My goals are on track and I've spent some very precious time with some very special people.   Life is good.


2 comments:

BizarreQuilter said...

Oh Andrea! These are delightful! What fun projects to do while chatting away, without being distracted by housework and whatnot!

I love a good long session, and I think your projects are perfect for chatting. Otherwise I listen to audio books!!!

I had only just got back into the fun of stitching in a group at a local shop on kindergarden days, and it's just flooded as a burst water main flooded out the shop (and others in the area), and the council couldn't find the mains to turn it off. They've packed up what they can and are looking for new premises. Well, I am a bit saddened, but looking forward to seeing the new place and how it will all work out!

Much love xxx

Jindi's Cottage said...

Love the idea of using EPP shapes that way, not a technique I've seen before...and I spy "our" fabric!...