After some ruminating and sighing, I happened to glance at the fruit bowl, which was a gift from her some 8 years ago and was the perfect scheme for what she told me she liked. Good grief, the right choices were there, under my nose in plain sight the whole time!!!
Here is my initial pulling of fabrics, which I sent a photo of to her for confirmation. Yes, she liked my choices - phew! By the way, H was thinking I was going a bit peculiar at the time and luckily for me hadn't put two and two together.
Now I needed a plan. I toyed with Drunkards Path, circular patterns, and all sorts of things until I found this plan of squares on pinterest. Apparently it is a plan for a crochet blanket. I followed this plan, with my own fabric square sizes in multiples of 2.5in to get the size of quilt I wanted to make.
Here's how it started.... Lots of cutting and laying out on the floor for options. I didn't use the white fabrics because they stood out too strongly and looked very out of place.
Slowly, but surely the quilt grew. I hand embroidered some sashiko pieces to add a textural and visual element to the other fabrics.
Turns out, there was more variety in my stash and some newly purchased fabrics than I thought!
Here's the completed quilt. Hubby was having a hard time holding it up for the photo, standing on a chair, outside in the wind.
And, lastly, some pics of the backing fabric, lovely red with gold ginko leaves and calligraphy on the centre fabric panel.
Finished off with fire engine red binding.
I quilted "Happy Japanese" on my domestic sewing machine with YLI threads in an all over swirl pattern to add movement to the very 'square' quit pattern.
I have kept the design idea page because this has turned out to be a true favourite quilt.