Tuesday 27 March 2018

Cake and Cross Stitch!

Mmmmmm - cake.  Chocolate Cake - just love it!

Once again I made a cake for a 50th birthday, this time the husband of a friend.  He also loves chocolate cake and breeds Bull Mastif dogs.

Finding a Bull Mastif figurine was quite difficult as they are not common like a German Shepherd, Spaniel or Labrador - however, after quite a bit of searching I found one.  A little bit stylised, but that didn't matter, he was ecstatic there was his favourite dog breed on the cake.
The recipe I used has been handed down through many generations of the family, so it won't be shared outside the family, it's a secret, but I'm always happy to make the cake for special occasions and husband of a very, very close friend was special enough. 
Unfortunately, it was an extremely hot day and the lunch was held outdoors, so the chocolate did start to melt a bit, but that did not stop guests from having second and third servings.


And... after the birthday celebration, I had a tidy up of my sewing room (to find something that is hiding), I found this little cross-stitch kit, which was mostly stitched and completely forgotten about. 
According to the packaging, I had purchased the magazine the kit came from in 2002.   I think I had put it aside because I wasn't overly keen on it; but, now that it's stitched, I like it.  
Often, I find that I have some self doubt when making things, which causes them to be stalled, then some time later, I pull it out, finish it and then wonder why I didn't persevere at the time.  Anyway, I'm going to purchase a frame for it and then I can have something pretty to display.

7 comments:

Moose-ings said...

This looks like a "10-layer cake" a friend's German mother used to make. Never got that recipe either, lol!

kimieoz57 said...

Hi there,

I am wondering do you still have the design for the Floral Sampler that you did? If so could I please have a copy of it as I have the kit however not the instructions.

Kind regards Kim

Unknown said...

Hiya I also have the kit and no pattern are you able to send me a copy of the pattern?

Many thanks 🤞😊

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kimieoz57 said...

Hi There,

I am the lady above the unknown and I have a message for you there... Kimieoz57

Thank you Kim

Andrea said...

Hi Kmieoz57, Can you please e-mail me at madebyandrea@bigpond.com ? I am unable to reply to you otherwise because you are set as a "no-reply" blogger. Regards, Andrea

kimieoz57 said...

Thank you Andrea I will, much appreciated Kim