Wednesday 21 June 2017

'twas a mystery....

I've been on a bit of a finishing roll lately.  There has been quite a bit of satisfaction on my part to get projects out of their boxes and bags and just work on them until they are done.  It's a terrific feeling that the finishes are going to be used as decoration or, most importantly, lovely warm hugs.

Every year, on the QuiltWoman website (formerly Planet Patchwork), a New Year's Day Mystery Quilt project is run.  When you sign up to the e-mails, you receive cutting instructions early, so technically, that makes it an UFO because it was started before 31st Dec.  I first posted about this project back in January.

I stole fabrics from another project, for the stars and used a cute print with teeny tiny forest animals on it for the background.


One block.  Star in star.


So, on New Year's Day, the instructions were posted each hour, on the hour.  I printed them out when they were posted and then proceeded to make the quilt at my own pace.  With these gorgeous batik blues and greens, it was very easy to keep on working on the quilt until the four large blocks were made.  And, then when put together a star magically appears.


I did not cut out the background setting pieces until all four blocks were made, so that I could see how much background fabric I had left over to get the maximum size quilt I could out of it.  I was aiming for large cot/lap quilt size.  With careful cutting and measuring, my wish came true!

The whole quilt almost.
The quilt backing is very tiny blue stars on a white background.  A bit hard to see in the photo.
Upon finishing, I have decided that it is perfect over the back of the couch in the sewing room so that I can pull it over my legs when I'm doing hand work.  My sewing room does tend to be a bit cold at times and now I have the perfect solution to my cold problem.   Happy me! :)

Finished size - 100cm x 120cm (40in x 48in)

5 comments:

swooze said...

Beautiful!

Jo said...

It looks lovely Andrea. I do think the colours are beautiful..

Jindi's Cottage said...

Love it...perfect for the couch too...

BizarreQuilter said...

Ooh! how absolutely lovely!

A quilt for yourself! Well, that doesn't happen very often. Happy you! xoxoxo

คนสวย2019 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.